If you need a simple and easy to use tool for wood cutting around the home, check these top-rated electric chain saws and read about my own experience with one of them.
I was born and raised in a very rural area in a village and we always had at least one old-fashioned gas chainsaw, usually Stihl and Husquarna. I guess at that time electric chain saws did not even exist, they would be useless in such an environment where you go to the forest to do the job and for various other works that are not close to the house.
But for most situations around the house you really can manage with an electric chainsaw. The top picture above shows one that I bought recently, my new Black and Decker 1800W Corded Chainsaw 35 cm model CS1835.
The main reason for buying it now was a tree that we had just a few meters from the house. It was a beautiful birch tree left from the previous owner of the house, but I had to cut it down. The picture below shows the mess created in the garden, but I was really pleasantly surprised with the performance of this chainsaw.
Initially, I did not really know what to expect, but I was a bit skeptical, yet it did the job nicely. So now I have a few logs and plan to work on them with the same chainsaw and to make a bench for the garden. It will not be a masterpiece of a bench, but I am sure it will do the job.
As you realize from the top picture above, this Black and Decker 1800W CS1835 is a corded chainsaw, but the piece of cord that comes with it is very short. In fact, I have seen people complaining about it, but I think this is just fine as it is. Even if it was a bit longer, it would not be enough for any small work around the house, and you would need an extension cord in any case. If so, then this piece that is permanently attached to the chainsaw should indeed be very short.
The chain bar is long enough for me, it is 35 cm (13.8 inches). Note that the saw is not very light, it weighs 4.66 kg (10.3 lb). I had to climb the tree mentioned above and to cut it into pieces from above, so I felt the weight. This is because of its electric engine where you normally have some induction system inside as usual for these electric machines invented by Tesla long ago, and the saw is quite powerful for this type. But when you are on the ground this is OK.
A bit annoying detail is that the chain becomes loose, so it is necessary to adjust it frequently. I have read some comments somewhere with other users also mentioning this, so most likely this is not something that I do wrong.
Nevertheless, for simple works, this is a very useful chainsaw and I am very glad that I have it. To realize what you can do with such a saw, see the picture below. The tree was 35 cm in diameter at the base, yet the saw cut it pretty easily, but I stress again, this is not a saw for professionals.
Below is a list of top rated electric chain saws that are currently available on the market as alternatives to the mentioned Black and Decker 1800W CS1835. They all work on the same principle, note that there are also cordless types in the list. So please follow the links to see more.
- Includes 18” guide bar and PowerSharp chain, which minimizes downtime by allowing you to sharpen your chain right on the saw in 3 seconds or less.
- Get to work right away with the instant start capability
- The chain stays oiled using the built-in Lubri-Tec oiling system which reduces chain friction and increases the saw’s run time
- No assembly required; comes pre-assembled
- Low noise, silent between cuts. Chain brake for added safety
- 12A motor rotates the Oregon chain at up to 44 feet per second
- Lightweight design limits fatigue to the user
- Auto-oiling system lubricates itself to elongate the saw’s lifespan
- Tool-free chain changes make for easy and fast chain replacement
- Requires no gasoline for emission-free operation
- Versatile: ideal for trimming and pruning limbs and branches
- Safety switch: protects against accidental starts
- Auto-oiler: automatic oiler with window to gauge Oil level lubricates the Bar and chain for continuous cutting
- Power Source Type: Corded
- POWERFUL ENGINE - 15Amp high-power pure copper motor, the running speed of the chain is up to 13m / s, high torque, high cutting efficiency; ideal for pruning and wood cutting (Note: The residual oil on the product is the residue from the test at the factory. It is a normal phenomenon and will not affect the use of the product. )
- 18-INCH OREGON CHAIN - The practical 18-inch OREGON low recoil chain is suitable for most felling needs, providing you with an excellent cutting experience; professional quality, easy to install and replace the chain without tools. This product is equipped with high-quality Oregon chain (model : 91PX063X), You can buy accessories on Amazon
- SIMPLE OPERATION - The tool-free chain can be adjusted quickly and easily to prevent over-tightening and ensure that you always have the proper tension for the work at hand; the visible transparent oil tank clearly shows the amount of oil and provides great convenience; Equipped with 190ml oil storage tank (Lubricating oil is not provided in the product box.)
- SAFETY SYSTEM - Two safety switches and manual mechanical brakes ensure the safe start of the machine and protect your safety. Before starting the chainsaw, make sure that the mechanical brake has been released, otherwise it will not start
- AUTOMATIC OILING - The automatic lubrication system has perfect functions and is easy to lubricate the chain. When using the machine for the first time, please add an appropriate amount of chain saw lubricants to make the machine idle for 20-30 seconds. This way can lubricate the chain and gear, thus protecting the machine
- POWERFUL MOTOR: 12-Amp motor of corded electric chainsaw helps with tough cuts
- LOW KICKBACK: This electric chainsaw features a 16-inch low kickback bar and chain
- AUTO-OILING: Built-in oil window and no priming required
- TOOL-FREE CHAIN TENSIONING: Easy to adjust chain for ideal cutting performance
- 3 Year Limited Warranty, refer to "Warranty & Support" section below for full details
- 14.5 Amp Electric Motor starts within seconds and delivers powerful torque to complete the job
- 18-Inch bar and chain makes clearing large fallen debris a breeze
- Tool-less chain tensioning for quick adjustments so you can get back to the task at hand
- Auto-oiler provides adequate lubrication to ensure the best cutting performance without the hassle
- Wrap around handle for multiple cutting positions to provide ease of use when trimming at different angles
- Powerful 15 Amp motor
- 18" Oregon low-kickback bar and chain
- Tool-free chain tensioning
- Automatic oiling system
- Chain break feature for safety during use
- Cordless chainsaw comes with low kick back 12-inch bar and chain for construction and outdoor cutting applications
- Compact, lightweight design (just 9 lbs. with battery) of the battery chainsaw for maximum user control
- High-efficiency brushless motor of the battery powered chainsaw maximizes runtime and motor life
- Up to 90 cuts per charge on 4x4 pressure treated wood (using a 20V MAX* 5Ah battery)
- Tool-free chain tensioning and bar tightening knob for proper bar clamping force
- High Performance G-MAX 40V Lithium-Ion Battery delivers fade-free power with no memory loss after charging
- Robust 12-inch steel chain and bar with tool-less chain tensioning offers ease of use while delivering the highest cutting performance
- 3/8-inch chain pitch delivers the right amount of capabilities to get those limbs trimmed and cut with minimal kickback
- Automatic oiler applies oil to bar and chain when needed to ensure durability and optimal use with a translucent oil tank for clear view of oil level. Wrap around handle for multiple cutting positions to provide ease of use when trimming at different angles
- 40V G-Max and 40V Lithium-Ion Batteries are not cross compatible; this tool is compatible with the G-Max 2.0 Ah battery (29462) and the G-Max 4.0 Ah battery (29472)
Last update on 2021-04-08 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
For small repairs and works at home and in the garden, check also my texts about best rated cordless drills and drivers and best-rated telescopic ladders, these are all tools that I use myself. There will be more stuff about such tools for home use, so bookmark this site and visit it occasionally. Thank you for reading and have a nice day.
This product was presentation was made with AAWP plugin.