If you need something enormously comfortable for outdoor sleeping, check this list with very thick sleeping pads for camping that are 10-15 cm thick.
So yes you are reading correctly all the pads here are in the range of 3.9-6 inches (10-15 cm). This is thick enough to provide excellent cushion and support even for side sleepers.
Just as I am writing this text, I am testing my own sleeping pad that you can see in the picture below. It is even thicker than the pads presented here in the text. In a couple of weeks, I shall be on my way to the mountains and I shall use it to sleep in the car and also in the official camps.
You have two main types here, inflatable and self-inflating. The latter type implies that you have some foam inside so this means that they are bulkier and heavier, but they also offer great insulation so you can use them even in the coldest environment. You will see also an example of an inflatable pad that has insulation.
The insulation feature is expressed through the pad’s R-value, so the higher the number the better. There is a correspondence between this R-value and the temperature, you can see a table with numbers in my separate text.
Both inflatable and self-inflating pads have lots of air inside, so it may be tricky to compress the pad and store it in its carry bag. So open the valves and start from the side that is without the valves. It is usually good to fold the pad to half its width and then start rolling. When you roll it completely, close the valves and unfold it, then start rolling again by keeping the pad pressed with your knees. You will see the remaining air collecting in the front, so open the valve at this point and finish rolling and then close the valve again.
But some pads have cleverly designed one-way valves, so just open the valve and roll. You can see this way in the video below that shows one of the greatest pads here in the list, have a look:
If you are not familiar with such products, you should know that here you have some of the best-known brands in this industry, and these are all very popular sleeping pads. There are big differences in the prices as you will realize from the list below.
So here is my list with these thick sleeping pads for camping ordered by thickness from less thick to thicker, have a look:
- SUPERIOR BASE CAMP PAD - It's more like a double bed than a sleeping pad; The megamat 10 keeps you and your partner toasty warm and comfortable while car camping, rafting, or at basecamp; 3.9 in. of loft delivers superior rest for the next day's effort
- SELF-INFLATING W/ MINI PUMP (M) - Save your breath after a long day on the trail; The Megamat 10 self inflates in minutes; Easy firmness adjustment with compact Mini Pump; Inflated dimensions of 72 x 41 in.
- SUMMER / WINTER COMFORT - Designed for 4 season comfort, the Megamat Duo 10 features Bluesign-certified insulation that keep you toasty in temperatures down to -54 degrees F
- INNOVATIVE CARRY SACK (M) - Packing up is far easier with the height adjustable roll top bag with a carrying strap; Megamat, Mini Pump, repair kit, and manuals fit snugly and effortlessly; Packed size is 22 x 11 dia.; Weight of 7.5 lbs.
- HIGH-QUALITY BUILD & 5 YEAR WARRANTY - 3D construction for edge-to-edge sleeping surface; Oeko-Tex 100 Certified materials are free from harmful chemicals; Hydrolysis-resistant, Polyester top and bottom with TPU laminate; Honeycomb-embossed top
- Luxury self-inflating foam air mattress offers comfort and warmth for camping, home, and travel
- Mattress provides 4 inches of stabilized loft for the comfort of home anywhere; vertical sidewalls maximize usable sleep surface
- Perfect for car camping, expedition basecamps, RVs, and boats, it also makes an excellent guest bed at home
- Dual valves allow compressible foam core to expand and inflate when unpacked; mate perfectly with a second mattress to create an extra-large sleeping pad for two people
- Large size measures 77x25x4 inches expanded, 7x26 inches rolled, weighs 5.5 pounds; stuff sack included; limited lifetime warranty; made in the USA
Last update on 2021-10-22 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
You might want also to check our separate texts with best backpacking self-inflating sleeping pads and double sleeping pads for camping. Thank you for reading, please use the comment box below in the case of comments or questions.
This product was presentation was made with AAWP plugin.