When I bought this Black & Decker 5 in random orbit sander in our local shop, I did not really know anything about this particular model. Of course, I knew about the brand, have several of their machines at home and I have been using them for many years already. But I was in rush and wanted a sander that would do the job and without spending much.
Based on my previous experience, I trust this brand, and when I saw the price, the choice was easy. I paid around 34 Euros for the machine, and this is close to what I see on Amazon and at some other big online sellers. It is worth every cent I paid for it.
The top picture above shows how it looks, so far I was using it mainly to sand walls, and only a bit on wood surfaces like in the case of the doors that had to be corrected because they were scratching the floor. The picture below shows the machine in this action. But our new home is mainly wood, you will realize this from some other texts that will be coming here, so I know I shall be using it a lot for such materials.
Now, I am not pretending to be an expert for such machines, in fact, I am a theoretical physicist by profession (no, this is not a joke), but I am just a person who does small repairs and I am using this specific machine myself and can share with you my first-hand experience. I wanted a reliable and affordable machine to do the job, and I have found it.
What is in the name
If you are completely new to this, you have a disk that is 5 inches (12.7 cm) in diameter. It is with a hook and loop surface (Velcro) to which you attach circular sanding sheets, so replacing them is easy and they stay firmly in place no matter how much pressure you apply on it. The picture below shows how the sheet is removed from the disk. Note that these sanding sheets are with holes for dust extraction, more below.
The words Random Orbit mean that the mentioned disc oscillates randomly, so when you press it against the surface which needs sanding, it will do the job efficiently. The black upper portion which you press with the palm is actually a paddle switch. So when you press it lightly against the object, it will start automatically. It operates on one speed only, there is no pad brake or anything else to change the speed of operation.
The pictures show that this machine operates with a cord, note that it is quite short, so you will need an extension. You can see also a dust bag, it is easily removable, you simply rotate it to release it from the machine. The picture below shows some details of its attachment to the machine.
The dust bag does collect dust, I mentioned the holes in the sanding sheets, they are for this purpose, but if you work with standard walls you will have lots of dust around. Do not count on the dust bag to save you from the dust, better remove everything from the room, otherwise, it will become very dusty and very quickly. You will want to use a face mask as well if you work in a closed space.
I have seen people asking if it makes a good finishing. So this will depend on the sanding sheets grit. You can buy them in a variety of values that go from 40 to 800 and perhaps even more, see more in this link. I started at 120 and it was too fine and could not do the job, so I switched to 40 and it was sanding the wall excellently. The grit 40 is the roughest I was able to find in my local store.
So would I recommend this Black & Decker 5 random orbit sander? The answer is yes, absolutely. I am very happy with it, it does a good job for me, it is so affordable and easy to use. Below you can see a few more models, these are bestsellers on Amazon, so you might want to follow the links and to compare.
- POWERFUL - With a 2.8 amp motor and 13,000 orbits per minute, it's able to deliver a smooth performance over a variety of sanding applications.
- EASY TO CLEAN DUST CONTAINER - The X-flow dust collector uses cyclone force to collect dust in it's easy-to-empty transparent container.
- SPEED CONTROL - Variable speed control provides the right amount of power and control across different materials.
- LOW VIBRATION - Through its ergonomic design and a soft rubber grip your hand stays comfortable while counterweight balance reduces hand fatigue from vibration. All so that you can work longer.
- SAND IN TIGHT PLACES - With a compact size and ergonomic design This sander can get into tight spaces easily and maximizes user control.
- SMOOTH FINISH: pad dampening system designed to eliminate swirl marks on both flat and contoured surfaces
- EASY DISC ATTACHMENT: through Bosch's signature Hook and Loop disc attachment system, sanding pads stick to the hand sander, acting like a Velcro-adhesion material
- VARIABLE SPEED CONTROL: powerful 2.5 AMP motor allows speed to work-piece and task matching with ease; no-load OPM: 7,500-12,000
- DUST COLLECTION: features a micro filter system for fine dust and trapping particles as small as a 1/2-micron in diameter. Durable and compact, the dust canister shows dust level and easily detaches for mess-free tasks
- KIT CONTENTS: Includes sanding pad, sanding disc, dampening ring, dust canister, vacuum adapter and carrying bag
- HIGH PERFORMANCE ORBIT SANDER - 2.0 Amp corded electric random orbit sander for a swirl-free finish
- HIGH EFFICIENCY - Delivers 12000 OPM (orbits per minute) to quickly sand material
- LIGHTWEIGHT AND COMPACT - Fits in tight spaces for more versatile sanding
- DUST COLLECTION SYSTEM - Keep your workspace free of dust and debris with a built-in dust collection bag
- COMFORT GRIP HANDLE - Work comfortably and with less fatigue thanks to the comfort grip handle. Motor Type: Brushed
- Orbital sander with brushless motor provides runtime and efficiency to get the job done
- Variable-speed control of the hand sander from 8,000 to 12,000 OPM to match the speed to the application.
- Low-profile height of the power sander allows user to get close to work surface for precise sanding.
- Replaceable 8-hole hook-and-loop sanding pad (DWE64233) for quick, easy paper changing
- Dust-sealed switch to protect against dust ingestion for long switch life.
- 3.0-amp motor of the orbital sander spins the pad at 8,000 - 12,000 OPM
- Separate counterweight design of the hand sander reduces vibration for improved comfort
- Improved dust-sealed switch of the electric sander protects against dust ingestion for longer switch life
- Dust port is designed to fit directly to the DWV010 or DWV012 dust collectors
- Shorter height allows the user to get closer to the workpiece
- Smoother and faster sanding with 3.0 AMP motor
- Variable speed control dial (4,000-12,000 OPM) enables user to match the sanding speed to the application
- Ergonomic rubberized palm grip and handle for improved operator comfort and control
- Adjustable front handle allows for sanding in corners and confined areas
- Large two-finger trigger switch with conveniently located lock-on button for continuous use and increased operator comfort
- Dual mode: Provides 2 sanding modes, random orbit mode for normal stock removal or fine finishing and "turbo" Driven eccentric orbit mode for aggressive stock removal at 5 times the rate of the normal random orbit sanding mode
- Variable speed: The GET75 6N comes with a powerful 7. 5 amp variable speed motor (no load speed: 290 to 640 RPM, no load orbit speed: 3300 to 7300 OPM) provide power, flexibility for jobs
- Ease of use: Get fast, smooth finishes on a variety of surfaces
- Passive dust collection system: Passive dust collection system that requires a vacuum cleaner and hoses; Accepts Bosch VAC001, VAC009 and VAC010 hoses (sold separately) or a Bosch VAC002 hose adapter (included)
- Orbital sander Package includes: The GET75 6N unit includes 1 (1) soft backing pad, 1 (1) hex pad wrench, 1 (1) sanding disc, 1 (1) removable front handle, 2 (2) vacuum hose adapters; Perfect for normal removal, most sanding jobs, wood floors, furniture finishing and polishing applications
Last update on 2023-11-22 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Check also my recent text about paint sprayers, I have been using one, they save time and paint. For high walls in the house you will need long ladders, so read about my experience with telescopic ladders. Thank you for reading, Let me know if you have any questions or comments, there is a comment box below.
This product was presentation was made with AAWP plugin.