Here you have an extraordinary collection with best winter sleeping bags for camping for extreme temperatures below -20F (-29 C) degrees. Keep reading.
When you inspect the list, you will realize that all the sleeping bags for winter camping presented here can be categorized in two major groups:
- Backpack portable winter camping sleeping bags.
- Extreme temperature sleeping bags for car camping and basecamps in general.
So this is about weight and also a bit about the packed size. There is a big difference between the two groups. This is related to the insulation material used in their construction, and also partly to their shape. So you have:
- Down winter sleeping bags for camping and expeditions. This is a treated down which is supposed to perform well even if it gets wet.
- Synthetic winter sleeping bags for camping, this type is in the group of car camping and basecamp winter bags. Synthetic insulation is heavier but it preserves its insulating properties even when wet.
The fill (insulation) dramatically affects the price. You will realize this when you compare the bags from the two groups. The difference in price can be by a factor 6 or 7. The corresponding difference in weight can be by a factor 3 or so.
But the price and weight are also affected by the shell material and some other features. Those backpack portable sleeping bags are built from advanced thin yet durable materials and there is also lots of technology in their baffles structures and in some other features.
You will notice also that some of the bags here are Amazon Prime items so you can have them shipped for free. With such sleeping bags, you will need an appropriate tent for extreme cold, so please check our list with tents ready for wood-burning tent stoves.
So here is or list with the best winter sleeping bags for camping ordered by weight from lighter to heavier. You will see only the top brand here. Please have a look, these are all items created for extreme cold:
- Traditional mummy shape allows for light weight and increased thermal value; Body mapped baffle construction optimizes themal efficiency; 3-D anti-snagÂ draftÂ tube prevents heat loss along the zipper
- Vertically structured side walls integrating contoured baffles trap heat closer to the body; Contoured hood baffles cradle the head for a more comfortable fit; Oversized interior anti draft collar; Ergonomic foot box construction provides more loft and warmth; Superlight shell fabric with high tear strength
- 850-fill DownTek water repellent down repels water while maintaining insulating value; Low profile cordlock lets you un-cinch the hood with one hand; Minimal zipper cuts weight and reduces cold spots
- Zipper Garage; Interior fabric loops for sleeping bag liners; Streamlined exterior loops for hang drying or storage; Mesh storage sack & nylon stuff sack
- SPECS - Select a size to view specs
- 800-fill Nikwax Hydrophobic Down fill retains loft up to 60 times longer than untreated down. Absorbs 90 percent less water and dries 3 times faster without PFCs
- Top of bag is lined with lining to trap radiant body heat. Recommended for temperatures down to -20 degrees Fahrenheit
- Overlapping side vents open to allow arm use and customizable temperature control. Overlapping draft tubes prevent cold spots when zippers are closed
- Snorkel Hood controls frost created by breath and eliminates warmth-sapping cross drafts. Synthetic-filled snorkel resists moisture
- Regular size fits up to 6'0 inch height, and weighs 51 ounces. Packs to 16 x 6 inches, and storage sack and compression stuff sack included
- Certified 800 fill power goose down
- Pertex shield waterproof, breathable fabric
- Cross baffle construction prevents down shifting and colds spots
- 11 baffle and wrap around foot box increases warmth
- Reinforced foot box lining
- Filled and Finished in Rohnert Park, California
- Certified 800+ Fill Power Goose Down
- Reinforced Foot Box Lining
- Nautilus 6-Baffle Hood
- Down-Filled Draft Tube
- Stay warm in our ALPS Mountaineering Blaze Sleeping Bag series
- Two-layer offset construction helps capture warmth
- Durable polyester ripstop fabric for long lasting use
- Fully equipped with long-lasting #8 separating zippers and standard stuff sack
- Comes in multiple sizes and temperatures
- COMFORTABLE SLEEPING BAG FOR ADULTS: Soft lining; Half-circle mummy style hood keeps you warm and your pillow clean; Unzips at the top or bottom for easy access and ventilation; For camping in all seasons
- NEVER ROLL YOUR SLEEPING BAG AGAIN: TETON provides a great compression sack for stuffing your sleeping bag; Start at the bottom and stuff the bag in, then tighten the heavy-duty straps
- STAY WARM IN COLD WEATHER: You’ll be warm and rested in this sleeping bag; Innovative fiber fill, double-layer construction and draft tubes work together to keep the warmth in
- SLEEP WARM: Fluff your sleeping bag and use a camp pad to sleep warmer; Hang loops for long-term storage to maintain maximum loft
- TETON SPORTS PROMISE: Reach out to our AMAZING product support team if you have any questions or concerns; YOU CAN COUNT ON US to get you taken care of and back OUTDOORS with TETON Sports
- Outer made of 210T nylon diamond rip stop fabric paired with inner microfiber liner
- Offering maximum insulation, loft and compactness with techloft+ insulation
- Keep the cold out and the warm in with two-layer construction and insulated chest and zipper baffle
- Fully equipped with #10 separating zipper and compression stuff sack
- Dimensions: 40" X 86", weight: 8 lbs. 6 oz. , fill weight: 108 oz.
- Outer shell made of extremely durable 210T nylon diamond ripstop fabric, paired with a 210T polyester liner
- Insulated chest and zipper baffle with two-layer offset construction s to trap in maximum heat and prevent unwanted cold spots
- Fully equipped with highly durable #10 separating zippers and a compression stuff sack
- You will definitely want this sleeping bag for your next cold night under the stars
- Dimensions: 86" X 38", weight: 9 lbs. 9 oz. , fill weight: 122 oz.
- Outer shell made of extremely durable 210T nylon diamond rip stop fabric paired with a brushed polyester liner
- Designed to keep you warm during extreme weather this -30 degree bag is filled with our 7 denier TechLoft Silver insulation
- Insulated chest and zipper baffle with two-layer construction s to trap in maximum heat and prevent unwanted cold spots
- Our Browning Camping McKinley Sleeping Bag is on our best sellers list a must-have in your camping collection
- Dimensions 36" x 90" Weight 12 lbs 12 oz Fill Weight 160 oz Compression stuff sack included
Editor’s Choice winter camping sleeping bag
As I said, the extreme weather sleeping bags shown above are from top brands and those are the best on the market. But there are differences among them. So the bag shown below is suggested as our Editor’s Choice. To realize why, it is best to see this video, the bag is designed by an Arctic explorer and he should know best, have a look:
Now you can see our rating and pros & cons:
If you need something for milder weather, please check our list with best 2 season sleeping bags. Thank you for reading. Let us know what you think and rate this product in the comment box below. Have a nice day.
Last update on 2020-07-10 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API