If you enjoy hiking in all conditions and on all terrains, then snowshoes are a must. So here you have a list with best snowshoes for men currently on the market.
Why using snowshoes
With snowshoes, you can walk across the snow-covered ground without much sinking or struggling. The purpose of snowshoes is to provide flotation, in other words they spread the weight over a larger surface. Snowshoes are constructed in such a way to allow for hiking and even running on the snow.
How to choose
You have three basic components to consider:
- The snowshoe frame.
- The binding.
These will determine where you can use them. So this can be:
- A flat terrain. This is best for beginners and for families. Snowshoes for such a terrain are with an easy-to-adjust binding and with a less aggressive traction system.
- A rolling terrain. This is what hikers and backpackers usually have to face. Snowshoes for such a purpose work well on all but very steep or icy terrains. They have more aggressive crampons and beefier bindings than the first group.
- A mountain terrain. As you guess this is for experienced mountaineer and for more demanding terrains, steep, icy, built with aggressive crampons and with strong and rugged bindings.
How to choose snowshoe size
This is primarily about the snowshoe frame and this is related to flotation. You will need a large surface if you are on a dry snow, if you are a heavy person, or if you have a heavy backpack. So when you see the recommended weight, this is your weight and equipment together.
On packed trails and in the forest you would go for more compact shoes that are easier to maneuver. The same holds for steep and icy conditions. In any case, make sure that you have an adequate flotation.
This is about the frame and decking. Typically what you have regarding the frame are:
- Aluminum-frame snowshoes.
- Composite-frame snowshoes.
Typically, you will see one of the following types:
- Rotating or pivoting binding. This is a great design that allows you to walk naturally. The pivoting angle can be different in different models.
- Fixed bindings. As the name says, they do not offer so much pivot. This may be a good option if you have to cross over obstacles on the trail.
How about traction
To have a great grip, snowshoes usually have some sort of crampons or teeth. Those for flat terrain need less of course as compared to mountaineering snowshoes.
- The primary source of traction is a toe crampon located on the undersides of the bindings.
- You can also have heel crampons placed on the decking undersides of many snowshoes.
- Side rails or traction bars on the decking undersides provide lateral stability.
- Braking bars, those are on the undersides of plastic-decking snowshoes for forward traction and to prevent backsliding.
Some of the snowshoes designed for steep terrains also have heel lifts. You can flip them up under your heels to relieve calf strain on steep sections and to save energy. The feeling you have is like walking upstairs.
How about snowshoeing footwear
Most of the models on the market are designed with bindings that accept standard hiking footwear so no need to invest in anything special for snowshoes. Though you are in a cold area so you might want to consider heated socks and also heated gloves if you plan to stay there longer. But some special types like those for running and mountaineering will have special bindings that correspond to the footwear used for such activities.
So have a look at this impressive list of best snowshoes for men (check also my text with snowshoes for women), you will see some top brands in the list:
- SIZES & WEIGHT CAPACITY: 18 inches (40 - 80 lbs / 18.14 - 36.29 kg); 21 inches ( 80 - 120 lbs. / 36.28 - 54.43 kg ) ; 25 inches ( 120 - 160 lbs. / 54.43 - 72.57 kg ) ; 30 inches (160 - 210 lbs. / 72.57 - 95.25 kg )
- FASHION AND COMFORT: featuring black and orange color, ergonomic and streamlined design and a slightly upturned rounded tail, the snowshoes ensure a comfortable and easy walk for your hiking and climbing
- FUNCTIONAL USE: a strong metal frame provides a stable platform while the high quality PE decking creates max flotation; heel straps with quick release buckles keep your feet in place; all terrain forged aluminum alloy crampons for aggressive traction
- FULLY ADJUSTABLE: double ratcheting bindings easily adjust to most footwear and enable a secure fit for maximum efficiency during outdoor treks; one-buckle tightening mechanism coupled with an TPE heel strap provides efficient support
- PORTABLE ITEM: made of lightweight high quality materials to guarantee ease of use; equipped with a handy carry bag, the snowshoes are ideal for your snowshoeing adventures
- SIZES & WEIGHT CAPACITY: 30 inches snowshoes optimized weight range: 150 - 260 lbs / 70 - 120 kg. (Load refers to total weight of user plus anything they are carrying such as pack, equipment, etc.)
- DESIGN: Ergonomic and streamlined design and a slightly upturned rounded tail, the snowshoes ensure a comfortable and easy walk for your hiking and climbing. Meet max floatation and fast movement in heavy snow condition.
- FUNCTION: Fast pull binding system easy entry and fast-lock allow your winter boots put on and off quickly. It can fit a wide range of shoes size from 35-45 EUR.
- MATERIALS: Long lasting lightweight 6000 Series aircraft aluminum frame. DuPont pivot and environmental HDPE decking. Forged aluminum alloy crampons
- PACK: One pair of snowshoes + one pair of Trekking poles + one nylon carrying bag.
- NEW AND IMPROVED FOR 2019 - You spoke, we listened. Based on feedback from our 2018 model, we made adjustments to our Sawtooth Snowshoes. We reinforced the ratchet binding with heavy duty spring-loaded clips and added a new heal strap with an auto-locking system.
- FULLY ADJUSTABLE BINDINGS - These adult snowshoes not only come in two lengths, 21 and 27 inches, but can adjust to the size of your foot. The easy ratchet style binding uppers with quick release and a buckle secure heel strap, give it a truly custom feel. No lacing necessary. Walking in the snow just became so simple. 21 Inches - Optimized Weight Range is 80-160 lbs (30kg - 60 kg) / 27 Inches - Optimized Weight Range is 165-235 lbs (62 kg - 88 kg)
- LIGHT WEIGHT MATERIALS - This snowshoe model is designed with a durable, aluminum frame that allows for optimal snow flotation performance in deep powder. Sawtooths are constructed with high-grade, weather tested materials because we know how important it is to hPACK GRIP TEETH - Snowshoeing requires traction. Each shoe has two sets of reinforced, heavy duty crampons that ensure traction on icy, hard surfaces. The pressure from your feet let the crampon act as an extreme ice pick for your boots!
- HARD PACK GRIP TEETH - Snowshoeing requires traction. Each shoe has two sets of reinforced, heavy duty crampons that ensure traction on icy, hard surfaces. The pressure from your feet let the crampon act as an extreme ice pick for your boots!INCLINE HEEL LIFT RISER - This unique system provides traction and balance while climbing hills. The heel lift riser comes up under your heel to support you when you need it and lays flat when you don't.
- STEEP INCLINE HEEL LIFT RISER - This unique system provides traction and balance while climbing hills. The heel lift riser comes up under your heel to support you when you need it and lays flat when you don't.SLIP FEATURES - The Sawtooth snow shoes have boot grip, no-slip textured pads and an excess heel strap clip. These systems cradle your foot to hold you in place and prevent sliding around while snow shoeing this winter.
- Sizes & Weight Capacity: 14 Inches: 30 - 70 lbs / 13 - 30 lbs ; 21 Inches: 70 - 150 lbs / 31 - 70 kg; 25 Inches : 120 - 200 lbs / 55 - 90 kg ; 27 Inches:175 - 225 lbs / 79 - 102 kg; 30 Inches:180 - 250 lbs / 81 - 114 kg
- [Material] High performance aluminium alloy + TPE thermoplastic elastomer, flexible to -40°C
- [Function] A strong metal frame provides a stable platform while the high quality PE decking creates max flotation; heel straps with quick release buckles keep your feet in place; all terrain forged aluminum alloy crampons for aggressive traction
- [Fully Adjustable] Double ratcheting bindings easily adjust to most footwear and enable a secure fit for maximum efficiency during outdoor treks; one-buckle tightening mechanism coupled with an TPE heel strap provides efficient support
- [Package Included] A pair of snowshoes + A pair of Snowshoeing Poles + Leg Gaiter + A Carrying bag
- 【Fashion & Comfortable Snowshoes】Featuring black, white and blue three colors, our snowshoes are ergonomically designed while ensuring aesthetics. Streamlined design and a slightly upturned rounded tail greatly reduce the resistance of moving forward.
- 【Lightweight & Durable Materials】 Our snowshoes are designed with a durable, aluminum frame that allows for optimal snow flotation performance in deep powder. PE upper with excellent low temperature resistance is able to withstand bad weather. In addition, stainless steel screws and aluminum rivets greatly extend the service life of snowshoes.
- 【Convenient Wearing】 The easy ratchet style binding uppers with quick release and a buckle secure heel strap, give it a truly custom feel. Compared with traditional lacing wear snowshoes, the quick release buckles make it easier to put on and off, and the heel straps can easily adjust the tightness according to the size of your feet.
- 【Better Traction and Support】 The solid serrated crampons at the bottom of the snowshoes will provide you with an ideal grip so that you can stand firmly and move steadily even on the snow-covered ice and the rugged mountain road. And the heel lift bar can ease fatigue effectively, which provides a comfortable and convenient experience for your hiking and rock climbing.
- 【Lightweight & Easy to Carry】 The upgrade aluminum frame design improves the heavy experience of the traditional aluminum frame snowshoes for optimal snow float performance. Reasonable size and a free storage bag make the snowshoes easy to carry anywhere.
- DIMENSIONS: L x W x H (30in x 9 in x 5 in) / Poles: (53 in x 1.5 in x 1 in). Weight recommendation: 140lbs-240lbs
- LIGHTWEIGHT- Our design aims to create a lightweight, high quality snowshoe that will guarantee ease of use while taking on any snowshoeing adventure!
- DURABLE- We use a strong aluminum frame and plastics to make our snowshoe capable of taking a beating while snowshoeing in the backcountry!
- FUNCTIONALITY- This recreational snowshoe is made for everyday snowshoeing. It has heel bindings that makes it easier to climb hills and the aluminum teeth help to provide increased traction and grip to the snow.
- COMFORT- We found that the one feature that other snowshoes lacked was comfort. Since we take our snowshoes for long expeditions or short walks around the park, we made comfort a priority. The 2 ANTI-SHOCK poles included provide the ultimate snowshoeing experience!
- Dependable, durable all-condition snowshoes offer excellent traction and floatation on snowy trails and rolling terrain
- Steel traction rails and brake bars are molded into snowshoe decking, and along with carbon steel crampons, provide secure grip in tricky conditions
- DuoFit bindings deliver freeze-proof, glove-friendly, adjustable attachment to a wide range of footwear
- Optional 6-inch modular floatation tails (sold separately) provide extra floatation in deep powder
- Snowshoes measure 8 x 22 inches, weigh 3.56 pounds, and can carry a 180-pound load; bindings fit men’s shoes sizes 4.5-15; made in the USA
- The Recreational crampon is great for secure uphill, downhill, and side hill grip on packed snow conditions
- The fit-step frame reduces musculoskeletal impact on hip, knee and ankle joints
- Soft Tec decking provides durable, lightweight flotation and has a smooth, soft texture
- The rotating toe cord bites deeply into the snow for great traction
- The Quick Pull binding cinches easily and unlocks with one buckle push
- 14" Size For user weights from 30-60 lbs ,17" size for user weights from 60-80 lbs, 19" size for user weights from 80-120 lbs,22 " - Size For user weights from 80-150 lbs, 25" -Size For user weights from 120-180 lbs, 27 " Size For user weights from 160-220 lbs,30" Size For user weights from 180-250 lbs,
- The snowshoes frames are made of lightweight and strong aluminum tubing and the decks are made of UV resistant durable, lightweight polyethylene material.
- Easy to use ratchet bindings and heel straps with quick release buckles.
- Extreme heavy duty aluminum crampons, provide strong tractions.
- Includes FREE Carrying Tote Bag.
- COMPLETE SNOWSHOE KIT: Get set for all your snowshoeing adventures with this kit that includes a pair of snowshoes, adjustable poles and a storage bag for transport or storage when the season is over.
- LIGHTWEIGHT FRAMES: Whether you’re going for a casual walk in the snow or hitting the hiking trails, the lightweight aluminum frames of these snowshoes offer lasting durability and comfort.
- POWERS THROUGH SNOW: High-density polyethylene decking helps these snowshoes break through deep snow while evenly distributing weight, keeping both you and your snowshoes on top of the snow.
- COMFORT FIT: With their double ratchet buckle system and rotating toe cord, the snowshoes allow for fast and precise adjustments to enhance your natural stride and provide a snug, comfortable fit.
- ADJUSTABLE POLES: You can use the poles in this snowshoe set to help maintain balance. Easily adjust their height to better suit the snow conditions or to fit into the storage bag when not in use.
Please see also this great video by REI, this is an introduction to snowshoes:
Last update on 2020-01-25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API