If you are preparing for some unsupported adventure and you have to carry all your supplies in the pack, you will want to check this list with best rated freeze dried foods. These are all Amazon bestselling items, highly rated and with numerous reports by users.
What is the difference between dehydrated and freeze dried food?
In both cases, this is about moisture in the food (and related weight) and shelf life. In dehydration, about 90-95 percent of the moisture is removed, while in freeze drying this is increased to about 98-99 percent. In any case, the shelf life is measured in decades, say 15-25 years.
In the freeze drying process the food is placed in the dryer where they are frozen to -40 degrees Fahrenheit or colder, while at the same time the pressure is reduced and the ice is removed by sublimation, it transitions into vapor and evaporates. So this is a low-temperature dehydration.
In the usual dehydration, the food is heated with warm air for a period of time and this results in moisture evaporation. This way of conserving and preserving the food has been known for centuries. You must have done this at home at least sometimes with fruits.
There are differences in the price and in rehydrating. From what I see, freeze dried food is usually more expensive than dehydrated. As for rehydration, I am pretty sure that this process is much slower with dehydrated food. Warm water makes everything faster, but the big difference remains.
So why all this?
Weight issue: If this is about carrying the food on the trail, if it is dried it is light because it contains no water which is normally its heaviest component. If you are an active backpacker or hiker, you know well that water is always the heaviest thing in your backpack. This is why water bladers in your backpack are positioned close to, but above, your body gravity center.
I have just been on a mountaineering tour and I used this food. The top picture above is my own meal at a very high altitude in front of a refuge, well over 2000 meters above sea level.
To realize what I am talking about see these numbers related to these freeze-dried items. In some great examples, you can have 7 lunches and 7 dinners packages with over 8500 calories in total, and the total weight is only around 2300 grams.
Variety: In the mentioned example, all those 14 pouches have different meals. So you have a balanced and variable food with all that you need on the trail. Can tell you, it is also exciting to see what taste next pouch will bring.
Packability: Also important is that these items pack well and they will not take much space in the backpack. In addition, if you go for those that are in pouches, you do not need any cooking pot. I use only my coffee pot to heat the water.
So you just add hot water in the pouch, and after 10 minutes or so you eat, no cooking and no washing dishes after the meal. You can use cold water as well, this will only mean that you give it more time to absorb the water. This can still be OK if you are in the camp and can wait. Make sure that you use your water filter/purifier in this case so that the water is safe.
How healthy is this freeze-dried food?
So the main difference between the fresh and freeze-dried food is water. It is generally accepted that main nutrients are preserved, but freeze-dried fruits and vegetables may have a bit less of certain vitamins. But this food is still rich in antioxidants and fiber. So there are differences, but there may be situations when freeze dried food is the only or much more suitable option.
This is still a quality food and it tastes good. The smell of scrambled eggs and breakfast on a 3000 meters peak feels good. You will know when you try it. I did.
So here is our list with best rated freeze dried foods for backpacking and other outdoor activities, and for emergency situations in general. Observe that most of the item are Amazon Prime products with all the benefits which come with it, and many of them are also on sale, in some cases you will see substantial discounts.
- 20 Total servings with approximately 1,650 calories per day
- 30 Year Taste Guarantee
- Allergens: Egg, Milk, Wheat, Soy
- Dimensions: 12" (L) x 8" (D) x 8" (H)
- Great for emergency preparation, camping trips, and RV expeditions
- QSS-Certified food supply
- Averages 1, 854 calories per day
- 8. 5-Gallon Watertight pail is easy to transport
- Easy to Prepare and ready in minutes
- Shelf life of up to 25 years*
- Totally gluten free
- Great for emergency preparedness
- Also great for everyday meal preparation
- Freeze dried, lasts in container for 25 years
- 156 assorted fruits: 40 servings bananas, 36 servings peaches, 40 servings strawberries, 40 servings apples
- 100 Total servings with approximately 1,800 calories per day
- 30 Year Taste Guarantee makes it perfect for emergency food or survival food
- Easy to store! Measures less than 20" (L) x 20" (W)
- Lightweight! Net weight of 12.9 lbs
- Requires 72.25 cups of water
- Only the good stuff! Dogs naturally crave meat, much like they ate in the wild. That's why every batch of Stella’s Super Beef Dinner Patties starts with 95% beef (always grass-fed!), organs and bone plus 100% organic certified fruits and vegetables to guarantee your pet is eating as nature intended. All ingredients are responsibly sourced, and never from China
- Made in the USA - Tantalizing Turkey Dinner Patties’ all-natural recipe is crafted with care in small batches in Stella & Chewy’s own USA kitchen to provide the highest levels of protein-rich meat and quality grain-free nutrition for your pet
- Minimally processed and all natural. Because the closer foods stay to their natural state, the better they are. That's why each of Stella & Chewy's recipes contains added taurine and no added hormones, antibiotics, grains or fillers. Best of all, it's 100% complete and balanced for all life stages
- Raw nutrition and convenience - your pet deserves to thrive on real, raw meat. Now, Stella & Chewy's makes it easier than ever to give your pet real raw nutrition with the convenience of freeze-dried
- Supports better health for your pet with improved appetite and digestion, relief from allergies, vibrant skin and coat, healthy teeth and gums, greater stamina and vitality and a healthy immune system
- TRY ‘EM ALL: Sample all of our most popular premium vegetables with just a single pack
- 15 POUCH PACK: Includes broccoli, cabbage, carrots, celery, corn, green beans, jalapenos, leeks, onions, peas, bell peppers, potatoes, spinach and tomatoes
- EASY TO PREPARE: Simply soak or simmer for 10-15 minutes; Enjoy while camping, cooking, backpacking and more
- NATURAL NUTRITION: Non-GMO, gluten free and kosher OU; Dehydrated to maintain high nutritional value and reduce nutrient loss
- BUY IN BULK: Yields 40 total cups (10 quarts) when rehydrated; Can be stored in your cupboard for years
- Cooked and diced chicken
- Just Add Water. Quick Prep: Less Than 10 Minutes. No Cleanup
- Fourteen 3/4-Cup Servings
- No Allergens
- 30 Year Taste Guarantee
- 60 SERVINGS OF MEAT - Includes 60 total servings of seasoned beef and poultry individually wrapped in convenient 4-portion packs
- 15 YEAR SHELF LIFE - With a 15-year shelf life, our emergency foods are designed to withstand the test of time, reducing waste and worry when maintaining disaster preparedness kits
- GRAB AND GO POUCHES - Convenient stacking tub stores easily at home or in your vehicle for emergency situations, or individual packages can be taken along on hiking, backpacking, and camping trips to add delicious, savory meat to any meal
- BONUS RICE - Includes 20 bonus servings of long-grain instant white rice with long-term shelf life
- JUST ADD WATER - Easy to prepare in any situation, just add water, wait 12-15 minutes and enjoy delicious, hearty food - no cooking necessary
- 18 Servings
- 630 Calories
- Perfect for Food Storage, Emergencies, Survival, Camping, and Everyday Use!
- Ready to eat as a delicious snack!
- Up to a 30 Year Shelf Life!
- PREMIUM QUALITY that you can trust! USDA inspected and microbe tested, our Freeze Dried chicken is a high quality meat that you can taste.
- VERSATILE perfect for camping, every day cooking or to store in case of emergencies and use as survival food. This meat is ready to be used in your favorite recipes today or stored for an emergency 25 years from now. Works great for meals in a jar and do it yourself DIY backpacking meals.
- 20 LARGE SERVINGS that are simple to use and prepare. The delicious chicken will reconstitute to its original taste and texture within minutes. Perfect option to throw into any soup or family favorite recipe
- VALUE BUY packaged in a gallon size #10 can for convenience and optimal shelf life.
- 100% CUSTOMER SATISFACTION GUARANTEE - If you are not satisfied with your purchase and feel this product has not met your expectations simply return for a full refund. Date on bottom of the can is the manufactured date. Shelf life is good for 25 years beyond that date.
Last update on 2019-11-14 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API