If you are in search of a load-hauling reliable and feature-rich pack, check this selection of best expedition backpacks for men from the best-known brands in this industry.
What features to inspect and expect in an expedition pack?
This is all about carrying heavy loads, and a lot of it, and carrying it as comfortably as possible. So when you choose a pack you will want to consider the following:
♦ The total volume. This is usually expressed in liters or in cubic inches. Note also that there are packs with an expandable collar that allows for up to 10-15 liters or so of extra volume when needed. For this, they also have a floating lid that you can move up to adjust for such extra stuff.
This may be important especially when you start an unsupported tour and you have more food and water in the beginning, so you need more space in the pack in the beginning.
♦ The weight of the pack and this means its volume-to-weight ratio.
♦ Adjustability options. These include:
- Torso length adjustability.
- Hip belt adjustability.
- Shoulder harness adjustability.
Most of the packs will have torso adjustability and only some minor adjustment options in the other two elements. But there are packs that offer options to reposition the hip belt fins and also to reposition the shoulder straps padding. This is described as full adjustability.
♦ Organization. This is related to the access points to the main compartment, and the pockets and their distribution.
♦ Attachment options. Here, the rule is simple, the more the better. What cannot fit inside, you can attach to the pack from outside. Most of the packs will have side compression straps that double as attachment straps. But you should also look for packs with straps on the bottom or over the bottom compartment or on the front.
See also if the pack has attachment loops for trekking poles, an ice axe, and similar stuff. Having bungee loops for glasses on the shoulder straps is also very useful.
♦ Rain cover. This will save you from the misery of having stuff wet in the pockets. I know that some people use various plastic bags for the gear in the main compartment, but such packs have various pockets and they also should be protected. A rain cover is a much better option than dealing with rain for every pocket separately.
So here is my selection of the best expedition backpacks for men ordered by volume, from smaller to larger. But note that some of them are a part of series of packs that contain a variety of sizes. So what you see here are sometimes just representatives of a series with many packs in different sub-sizes.
Observe also that all these packs are from the best-known brands in this industry. They have been on the market for years already, tried and tested by many people, so you know what you are buying. Please have a look and follow the links for more details.
- PerfectFit suspension that provides one-size-fits-all versatility with hassle-free adjustments Front pocket, zippered side pockets, side water bottle pockets, sleeping bag access, and ice axe loop Hydration compatible AirMesh shoulder straps 450D Polyester Oxford
- Anti-Gravity suspension - feels like you are carrying less weight than is in your pack
- Adjustable harness and Fit-on-the-Fly hipbelt to dial in perfect fit
- Front stretch mesh pocket for quick storage of rain gear or extra layers
- Removable floating top lid with dual zippered pockets and web attachment points
- Internal hydration reservoir sleeve accommodates up to a 3L reservoir (sold separately)
- USE CASE: Designed for everything from trekking and mountaineering tours to overnights in the front country, this pack is both sleek and spacious while remaining lightweight and comfortable.
- MAX VENTILATION, MAX ENDURANCE: Aircontact Lite back system is proven to reduce perspiration by 15%; Breathable padding made of open-cell, hollow-chamber foam and an ergonomic internal X-frame let cool air in and hot air out
- REVOLUTION IN COMFORT: Auto-Compress, Ergonomic Comfort Lock hip fins of dual density foam deliver a custom fit for load stability; Vari Quick adjustable back length fits torsos 14 - 19 in.; S-shaped shoulder harness has soft edge and airy 3D mesh lining
- LIGHTEN UP: The Aircontact Lite is fully adjustable for enhanced load weight management; Hip belt with Pull-Forward construction is easy to fasten and tighten with heavier loads; Adjustment straps at shoulders transfer weight from shoulders to hips
- TRAIL UTILITY: Extendable 10L pack collar for volume expansion; Height and width adjustable chest strap with signal whistle; Side compression straps for regulating pack volume; Abundant internal and external loops and pockets; Hydration system compatible
- Custom Fit Suspension - Response A3 suspension with independently rotating hipbelt and harnesses. Custom fitting available at your local retailer.
- Included Daypack - Sidekick Daypack Included Doubles As An Internal Hydration Sleeve
- Sidewinder Bottle Holster - One-Handed On-The-Go Water Bottle Access - Tucks Away When Not In Use
- Item Package Weight: 5.95 Pounds
- AMP-Flow ventilated back panel to keep you cool
- Advanced perimeter frame for superb stability
- FIT-Pro quick & easy torso adjustment system
- Signature wing side pockets with pass-through functionality
- Two kinds of hipbelt pockets for need-it-now items
- Removable top-lid converts to DayLid daypack
- Internal hydration reservoir sleeve
- Stow-on-the-Go trekking pole attachment
- Zippered hipbelt pockets
- Large stretch mesh front panel pocket
- ONE BACKPACK FOR EVERY ADVENTURE: Larger backpacks include a place for your snowboard, skis, climbing rope, snowshoes, or backpacking gear; Every backpack in this collection is adventure ready for hiking, backpacking, travel, hunting, and camping
- FITS TO YOUR SHAPE: Waist, chest, and shoulder adjustments offer a perfect customizable fit (torso adjustment included on the larger backpacks); Unique lumbar adjustment only seen in higher-end packs; Travel backpack for men, women, or youth
- DURABLE: Black Oxford shell for added strength is perfect for the most rugged adventures; Multiple compression straps come with strong buckles for balancing your pack comfortably; Storm-proof zippers keep your gear dry and secure
- ADDED COMFORT AND SUPPORT: Lightweight aluminum frame provides stability, so you feel less of the load; Extra padded lumbar region is comfortable on your back; Designed for the most aggressive users at a price that is friendly to beginners
- TETON SPORTS PROMISE: Reach out to our AMAZING product support team if you have any questions or concerns; YOU CAN COUNT ON US to get you taken care of and back OUTDOORS with TETON Sports
- 105 liter backpack built for carrying 50-80 lbs. of gear (pack weight 5. 67 lbs. for a size medium)
- Floating, removable top lid with top-and under-lid zippered pockets converts to a DayLid daypack
- External hydration reservoir sleeve is easy to access when the pack is fully loaded and accommodates up to a 3L reservoir (sold separately)
- Dual side zips provide easy access to gear stored in the main compartment without removing the top lid
- Zippered hipbelt pockets keep snacks and smaller items close at hand
- Compatible with Kelty satellite Radio Holder and Battery Holder (sold separately)
- Puncture-resistant construction stands up well to the rigors of travel and camping
- Secondary low-profile hood stows in storm collar pocket
- Sleeping bag compartment with zippered divider
- Dimensions: 44 by 29 by 17.5 inches (L x W x H); Torso Fit Range: 16 to 22 inches
Last update on 2023-01-16 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
On a long trail you will need a reliable sleeping bag and a sleeping pad, so check these sleeping bags for cold weather and backpacking self-inflating sleeping pads. Do you need a pack for women? If so, please check these best expedition packs for women.
Let me know if you have questions or comments, there is a comment box below. Thank you for reading and have a nice day.
This product was presentation was made with AAWP plugin.