If you plan any longer outdoor tour you will want to check this list with best backpacking self-inflating sleeping pads, all ultralight and ultra-packable items for outdoor sleeping.
For those who are new in outdoor activities, the term self-inflating means that you simply open the valve and spread the pad. There is an open-cell foam inside, and it will suck the air in and the pad will self-inflate while you are busy preparing your tent or doing other activities in the camp. You can always blow some air with your mouth if you feel the pad is not inflated enough.
The foam inside and the fabric around it trap the air so you have insulation in such a pad. Most of them are good at least for 3-seasons camping, and some are suitable for all seasons. This is expressed through the R-value. So very roughly speaking, with the R-value above 4 you have a pad that is good enough even for winter.
My reason for taking such a self-inflating pad on a tour, instead of an inflatable pad is the following. Although both can be punctured, there is a big difference in the sense that the foam inside will provide some insulation and cushioning even if you realize that the air is leaking out. This is not so with inflatable pad, and this can ruin your adventure.
The foam provides support that is not available in inflatable pads. Also, the bouncing effect is reduced. Of course, the foam in such a pad adds some bulk and weight. But there are some really clever and advanced designs on the market so that the difference in weight and packed size between self-inflating and inflatable pads can be very small. Here is one great example:
When you inspect the list below you will realize that these are all top-brands in this industry. This is the type of outdoor equipment where you want to know what you are buying and you have to have a reliable pad underneath you. So even if you have to pay a bit more, it may be well worth the investment.
The self-inflating pads in the list are all nicely packable and in the category of ultralight pads. Note that we also have a separate text here in the site with double sleeping pads suitable for car camping.
So here is our list with best backpacking self-inflating sleeping pads given in alphabetical order so this is not ranking. The reason for this is that these pads come in several sizes and those imply different weights. So making a rank list by weight or by packed size would not make much sense. But I wish to stress that having an option to chose your size means a lot so you can avoid carrying unnecessary weight.
- Top made of durable, lightweight and abrasion resistant Polyester Ripstop fabric
- Exclusive jet stream foam offers quick inflation and deflation, while providing support and insulation
- Strong, high-quality brass valve will withstand years of use, making it superior to other mats in this category
- Carry bag, compression strap and repair kit included, so the pad stays compact for your next adventure
- Dimensions: 20" x 72" x 1.5", Weight: 2 lb. 4 oz., Stuff Sack: 4.5" x 21"
- Warm and comfortable self-inflating pads ideal for year-round use; Available in a variety of sizes and thicknesses, these pads are a great choice for those looking for a durable pad that will keep you warm in colder temps
- High-density foam provides great cushion, insulation and comfort in temperatures down to -5 F; 50 x 78 double wide size is ideal for glamping, truck beds and campers
- Horizontal coring on Wide Long and Double Wide models reduces packed size and decreases weight; When sleeping on frozen ground or snow we recommend adding a closed cell foam pad; Includes two compression straps
- SPECS (20x72) - Pad weight: 34oz; Packed size: 21.5 x 5 in; 1.5 in thick; Stretch-fabric top provides soft cushion; Durable polyester bottom; Solid foam core; Two-way, pull-tab valve allows for easy inflation, deflation and micro adjustments
- Big Agnes believes that innovation is born from real-world product testing, and that gear should be pushed to its limits; We’re dedicated to making the best gear possible to help folks get outside and chase their dreams
- LIGHT AND VERSATILE: The Two Track is a lightweight, self-inflating, foam core pad; Warm and comfortable it is ideal for year-round use
- OPTIMAL COMFORT AND DURABILITY: Vertical and horizontal coring makes a lightweight pad that packs small, making it great for backcountry travel even in colder temps; The stretchy, soft polyester rip-stop exterior fabric makes for a soft, cushiony yet very durable sleeping surface
- CUSHIONY WARMTH - Lightweight foam provides cushion, insulation, and comfort; When sleeping on frozen ground or snow we recommend adding a closed cell foam pad like our Third Degree
- EASY INFLATION: The two-way pull-tab valve allows for easy inflation, deflation and micro adjustments to ensure you inflate your pad to the desired firmness
- LIFETIME WARRANTY - Regular size: 20"x72"; Rolled size 21.5" x 4.5"; Weighs 24 oz; Stuff sack included
- HYBRID SLEEPING PAD - The new Flyer self-inflating camping pad uses a radical hybrid design that brings the thickness of air pads and the plushness of foam together. New technology allows us to use 3D sculpting to completely redefine self inflating sleeping pads. No longer do you have to decide between weight or comfort. The Flyer does it all.
- MAXIMUM SUPPORT - Our completely new manufacturing approach allows us to remove 60% of the foam while still increasing thickness by 290% when inflated. The unique sculpted topology distributes weight effectively so you don’t need more weight. That means more comfort with less material, allowing you to recover quicker after a hard day on the mountain.
- ULTRALIGHT - With a min. weight of 1 lb 15oz you’ll hardly notice the Flyer self inflating sleeping pad in your pack. Made with 20D soft-touch polyester, the Flyer packs down to a 12 x 8 in dia, making it less intrusive than other models. When you’re ready to setup camp, the zero-profile, micro-adjustable valve allows for fast inflation to a full 2 in.
- R-VALUE - The ideal camping pad shouldn’t just be lightweight and comfortable. It should also keep you warm. Horizontal coring helps the Flyer sleeping mat retain a higher R-Value with less foam so you don’t have to sacrifice weight or size for warmth.
- 3-season foam sleeping pad is 2 inches thick for lightweight camping and backpacking comfort
- Multi-function reversible valve for fast and easy inflation, one-way deflation for quick packup, and fine-tuning of air pressure
- Innovative coring technique removes foam weight and bulk, while maintaining durability and warmth; 3.1 R-Value ensures that pad will insulate from spring through fall
- 30D stretch knit fabric is embossed with a grip print to prevent sleeping bag from slipping on the mat, or the mat slipping on the tent floor
- Regular pad measures 72 x 20 x 2 inches, packs to 5.5 x 11 inches, weighs 1.4 pounds; includes stuff sack and PillowLock patches for securing a Sea to Summit pillow to mat
- Ultralight AirFrame Construction: Alternating foam and air channels allow us to drastically reduce weight and packed size while amplifying loft
- Supportive Foam: Our U.S. sourced foam is the lightest and most compressible foam on the market
- 2” of Loft and Comfort: No other ultralight self-inflating mattress provides this amount of comfort.
- Self-Inflating Convenience: Excellent self-inflation allows just a few breaths to top off the mattress for optimal firmness.
- Stuff sack included
- Perfect for three-season camping or backpacking, the ProLite Plus self-inflating sleeping pad offers dependable, lightweight comfort
- Diagonal-cut foam offers more warmth than the typical vertical-cut foam
- 3.2 R-value means the ProLite delivers added warmth and comfort during three-season camping and backpacking
- At 1.5-inch thick, this camping mattress with expanding self-inflating foam delivers convenience and comfort and is an ultra-compact expedition sleeping solution
- Regular measures 72x20x1.5 inches inflated, packs to 11x4.8 inches, and weighs 23 ounces; stuff sack included
- Three-season self-inflating foam sleeping pad for light backpacking, car camping, and summer camp comfort
- Solid polyurethane foam core, with durable urethane fabric top and bottom
- Expanding foam core is lightweight and compressible for easy packing; pad self-inflates and can provide firmer support with a few breaths
- Suited to car camping, light backpacking, summer camp, and extra cot padding, the 1-inch thick mattress is supportive and comfortable
- Regular measures 72 x 20 x 1 inches, packs to 11 x 5.6 inches, and weighs 22 ounces; stuff sack included
- Versatile: light enough for backpacking, yet comfortable and durable enough for car camping
- Warm: ample warmth for extended, three-season use
- Packs small: self-inflating die-cut foams roll up small for easy packing
- Lasting comfort: time-tested design offers the straightforward comfort and performance you need for a great night's rest
- Stuff sack included
Last update on 2023-09-06 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Editor’s Choice Nemo Flyer Sleeping Pad
If you would rather have something for places with a car access, please check these best self-inflating sleeping pads for camping. You might want to check also my list with best car camping sleeping bags, you will need one with these sleeping pads. Thank you for reading. Note that we add texts here regularly so bookmark this site and stay informed. Have a nice day.
This product was presentation was made with AAWP plugin.